Metal Meet Forums  

Go Back   Metal Meet Forums > Processes > Processes > Joining Metal > TIG welding sheetmetal

TIG welding sheetmetal All methods of TIG welding sheetmetal

Old 05-31-2011, 01:40 PM

Default So I was offered a welder today....

But I don't know too much about this style, I am told it's a Miller Econo twin arc welder 220v converted to TIG, strike arc w/ no foot pedal constant setting with ground clamp. Supposedly all it needs is a bottle to operate it for $300.

Not knowing much about the arc welders especially ones that have been converted, is this a good deal? What should I be look out for?

My welding experience is very very limited and has been strictly MIG.

Any suggestions,advice, comment are helpful!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:46 PM

I use to have one several years ago I had a awful time just trying to weld with it, a real pain to work at least for me.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:48 PM

Is it AC/DC?
Is it 1 phase or 3 phase?
I learned how to tig weld in the 70's on an Idealarc welder. It was a scratch start. It was a great welder! It had a gas shutoff hanger valve. just hang the torch on it and the gas stop flowing. We had a high frequence box for AL. but we never used it.
If it is 220 V single phase, for $300 with the torch and gas bottles it sounds like a great deal
Old 05-31-2011, 01:56 PM

They said it was ac/dc but I didnt think/know to ask if it was single phase or not, I will have to ask.

Anything else I should ask? How hard would it be to use compared to a MIG?
Old 05-31-2011, 02:15 PM

Politely ask if they could show you how it works, quickly write every step down or video it. Most people are happy to show it works, but don't ask them to take less after they show you how. tt
Old 05-31-2011, 02:33 PM

Default High Freq

With scratch start, it doesn't have high frequency for starting. Think about the materials you are going to weld and determine if scratch starting will be an issue.

See if it has foot control, or if you have to set the amperage on the machine. This will mean no control during the weld itself.

I'm assuming it's an air cooled torch, so you will be limited as to the max amp you can weld with tig, or it will burn up your hand.

Voltage and phase.

Gas control like Rick mentioned.

Some of the older coil machines welded very nice, but they used a lot of electricity. Schools have changed over to inverters to save energy costs. These days, some of the coil machines have a higher value as scrap than as welders, due to the amount of copper inside.

Ron Covell and Peter Tomasini metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane.nittler@gmail.com for price and availability.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:43 PM

Most everything I do will be car related, so realistically about 90% steel, with a little bit of stainless or aluminum thrown in.

I hate to turn it down, but from what I am seeing I don't think this is the right welder for meright now. I think I will be money ahead to save and get something that I know more about.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:59 PM

Exclamation

Great idea Mike, save some money and bought a tig with high frequency start option and a footpedal (if you do sheetmetal work), I promise, you will be satisfied and donīt need to look for another one after a short time with the scratch tig...
I know itīs can bee used with scratch start, but not a hit together with thin sheet :o you will need to regrind the wolfram more than you weld....:twisted:

Just my opinion after many years behind a tig torch

Good luck with your buy later!
// Per
Old 05-31-2011, 04:13 PM

Mike, that is the same machine I bought in 1976 when I started my business. Mine had the high frequency add on though. It was always difficult to get a good weld with it, and I toughed it out for about ten years before I could afford to buy a real TIG. That machine is really a converted arc welder, it does arc weld very well, but the TIG function of it is not so good. About six years ago I bought a new inverter TIG, and the difference is like night and day. Save your money up and but an inverter TIG, and you will skip the frustration of trying to weld with that 35 year old technology. You will be very happy with the new technology as you can set so many different parameters to get the perfect weld on just about any material. It just makes doing any weld so much easier too.

Jim Walters
www.bristolmotors.com